UK: Greene King cuts Old Speckled Hen abv
UK brewer Greene King has said consumers have driven its move to lower the abv in its cask ale brand Old Speckled Hen.
Greene King said yesterday (16 August) that "extensive research" among drinkers had led them to cut the strength of Old Speckled Hen from 5.2% to 4.5%. The company said the move would "secure the future success" of the brand.
Greene King managing director Justin Adams said: "Feedback from drinkers is that they love the full flavour of Old Speckled Hen but a significant number find it too strong. Dropping the abv by 0.7% won't affect the taste but it will dampen the effect of the alcohol."
The brewer said it will also raise the abv of Old Speckled Hen Smooth from 4.3% to 4.5% to bring the portfolio in line in the UK on-trade. The bottled product will also see a change, moving up to 355ml but remaining at 5.2% abv.
In a further move, Greene King has revamped the off-trade packaging for Old Speckled Hen.
Finland is looking to discuss Internet alcohol sales from Estonia with its neighbouring country....
Furious MEPs have attacked widespread confiscations at European Union (EU) airports of duty free alcohol from transit passengers, claiming they are damaging duty-free retailers. The confiscations are ...
Asia Pacific Breweries has warned that plans to build four greenfield breweries will "temporarily" hit earnings this year. The Singapore-based brewer is set to build plants in China, Mongolia, Laos an...
The Finnish brewing industry has slammed the country's moves to restrict alcohol advertising. The Finnish parliament has approved plans to curtail TV and cinema advertising by beverage alcohol produce...
US craft brewer Pyramid Breweries has added to its board of directors....
Kirin Brewery Co. has today (7 February) outlined plans to consolidate its alcohol, soft drinks and other businesses under one holding company....
One of the UK's big four retailers has introduced health messages on its own-brand beverage alcohol products....
The Indian government has indicated to the EU that the country needs to reform its tariff regime on imported spirits and wine, just-drinks understands....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets