UPDATE UK: Greene King “concerned” at Wetherspoon beer offer
UK brewer Greene King has said it is "concerned" by pub chain JD Wetherspoon's decision to offer its beer at GBP0.99 per pint.
King expressed concern to just-drinks today (6 January), 24 hours after JD Wetherspoon put the brewer's IPA beer on offer at GBP0.99 (US$1.44).
The move forms part of a range of discounts at Wetherspoon's 713 pubs and is set to run "indefinitely", according to the group.
A Greene King spokesperson said: "They didn't consult with us about this and we are not supporting or funding it.
"Brewers have no influence over what is charged to the pub customer. Pub chains set their own retail prices and it is illegal for us to interfere in retail pricing in any way."
The brewer, which also makes Old Speckled Hen and Abbot Ale, praised Wetherspoon for its staunch support of cask beer in recent years, helping to drive a resurgence in the sector.
However, it added: "We are concerned by how low the price is."
Wetherspoon defended its offer, which comes as consumers feel the first pricks of recession. A group spokesperson told just-drinks yesterday that the promotion is "not a loss leader in any shape or form".
Health groups have expressed concern that the move contradicts government and industry campaigns to promote responsible drinking.
UK beer and pub group Greene King embarked on a shopping spree this week and bought 11 pubs from debt-laden rival Punch Taverns in a GBP30.4m (US$49m) deal. Michelle Russell looks at the group's fortu...
Greene King, the UK ale brewer and pub owner, has seen its share price rise by nearly 4% after a 15% drop in pre-tax profits for its fiscal full-year beat analysts' expectations....
Marston's, the UK brewer and pub owner, plans to raise GBP176m (US$288m) via a share rights issue in order to expand its pub network by taking advantage of lower land and property prices....
Punch Taverns, the UK's largest pub group, plans to raise up to GBP350m via share issue in order to meet debt repayments....
Greene King, the UK beer and pub group, has taken advantage of funds raised via a recent rights issue by acquiring 11 pubs owned by rival Punch Taverns for GBP30.4m (US$49m)....
Greene King has seen shareholders snap up over 90% of new shares from its recent rights issue....
The Portman Group has ruled in favour of a brewer following a complaint from a member of the public in the UK....
Greene King, the UK brewer, has raised a fresh GBP22m in order to pay down debt....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research