UK: Greene King closes Hardys & Hansons brewery
Greene King is closing a brewery as part of its purchase of UK regional brewer and pub group Hardys & Hansons.
The announcement, made today (3 October), follows a review of Hardys & Hansons after Greene King acquired the group last month. Greene King paid GBP10.59 per share for the company, valuing Hardys & Hansons at GBP270m (US$514m).
Greene King has confirmed that it will close the brewing facility in Kimberley, Nottinghamshire, by the end of the year, with around 80 of the company's 2,200 jobs at risk of redundancy. "We are committed to minimising the final number and offering the best possible support to those affected," said Greene King's CEO, Rooney Anand.
"Greene King invests more in cask beer than any other brewer but, to remain viable, returns have to be delivered on this investment," Anand continued. "The best way to ensure that Hardys & Hansons' brands continue to flourish in a challenging ale market is to transfer brewing to Bury St Edmunds. The head office functions will also be moved there by the end of December."
The Kimberley site will continue to house cellar service and distribution for the company, to help develop the markets in the midlands and the north of the UK.
Greene King has launched an updated version of its flagship ale in the UK....
UK regional brewer Greene King has launched what it claims to be the first bottled English speciality beer....
UK regional brewer and pub group Greene King has posted increased sales and volumes for the 36 weeks to 7 January, a performance in line with expectations....
UK regional brewer and pub group Greene King said today (5 December) that trading was in line with expectations after posting a strong set of first-half figures....
UK brewer Greene King has demanded four local pensioners contribute to its legal costs after they failed to block an extension to the opening hours of a local Greene King pub....
UK brewer Greene King has sold 155 pubs based mainly in the south of England to Admiral Taverns Holdings....
Advisors for UK regional brewer Greene King have confirmed that the company is looking to sell around 150 tenanted pubs in southern England....
UK regional brewer Greene King has refused to be drawn on reports that it is looking to sell around 150 tenanted pubs in southern England....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets