UK: Greene King agrees to offload 275 pubs
Greene King is looking to eventually cut its estate of pubs to 750
Greene King has agreed to sell 275 of its “non-core” on-trade outlets in the UK for GBP75.6m (US$127.7m).
The Suffolk-based brewer and pub operator is offloading the sites to new pub company Hawthorn Leisure Ltd, it said today (1 May). The deal is expected to complete by early next month.
Greene King's beers will continue to be sold at the outlets as it has agreed a three-year supply deal with Hawthorn.
The sale is part of a plan, announced by Greene King in 2010, to cut its tenanted and leased estate to 1,200 sites. However, it said today it now expects to cut the estate further, to around 750 outlets, to focus on "higher growth areas".
Rooney Anand, Greene King's CEO, said the company has “several options” for the funds raised from the sale.
"Depending on site availability and attractive valuations, our first priority will be to seek to further accelerate our retail expansion plans," he said. "In the absence of increased investment opportunities, we would also retain the option of using the funds to reduce our overall longer-term gearing position.”
Hawthorn's backers are Avenue Capital Group and May Capital LLP.
UK on-trade beer sales fell by 4.2% in the first three months of this year, the British Beer & Pub Association reported yesterday.
Canadean's "Greene King PLC : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a ...
Greene King will continue to seek to gain share through investment and innovation in its core ale brand portfolio and through the expansion of its distribution system by increasing the number of its p...
Beer in 2013 continued to decline in volume terms. The recession that constrained consumer spending in the aftermath of the credit crunch became less of a factor in discouraging sales as the British e...
The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on beer market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report