Green shoots for Argentina's wine export industry - Rabobank
Argentina's wine industry is expected to see renewed export growth in 2016, thanks to the country's new president.
According to Rabobank's Global Wine Quarterly Q1 report, high inflation, a strong peso and export taxes had created major hurdles for wine producers. But president Mauricio Macri's moves to cut restrictions to foreign currency and eliminate export tax are set to benefit the trade.
Rabobank said in its report that the two moves had improved the country's competitive positioning by 50% "almost overnight".
The changes mean wineries can be more profitable and more flexible on pricing, than they have been in several years, according to Rabobank.
"As the fifth largest producer of wine in the world, the change in Argentina's competitiveness is likely to have implications for numerous other regions," the report said.
But Rabobank warned that Argentina's major competitors - Chile and Australia - have benefited from advantageous trade relationships with key export markets. Meanwhile, the demand for bulk wine the US, which Rabobank said was a key market for Argentina, has declined.
In November, Diageo agreed to sell its Argentinian wine brands, Navarro Correas and San Telmo, to Argentinian producer and distributor Grupo Peñaflor.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts