US: Great Lakes Brewing Co plans US$7m upgrade
US craft brewer Great Lakes is spending US$7m on upgrading its facilities in a move expected to boost brewing capacity by a fifth.
The Cleveland, Ohio-based firm, the US’ 20th biggest craft brewer by volume, said the money will be used to install four 600-barrel fermenters and two 600-barrel bright tanks, all built in Germany. “The additional equipment, along with updates to infrastructure and packaging operations, will yield an estimated 20% capacity increase,” the company said.
Great Lakes' brands include Dortmunder Gold Lager, Eliot Ness Amber Lager and Burning River Pale Ale.
Dan Conway, Great Lakes Brewing Company’s co-owner, added: “As we continue to explore long-term expansion options, we’ve had to make savvy investments to maximise our current footprint, with respect to our neighbourhood and local merchants.
“This short-term expansion is our way of satisfying current demand while working steadily towards a long-term solution.”
To read an exclusive just-drinks analysis on how the US on-trade is reacting to the on-going growth of craft beer, click here
just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
This latest 'on-trend' report from just-drinks provides a strategic summary of where the craft beer category is at present, and where it might be heading in the short-term. Through a combination of sp...read more
Sectors: Beer & cider
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review