US/EUROPE: Graphic Packaging Holding Co to pay US$24.7m for A&R Carton's beer and beverage unit
Graphic Packaging Holding Co has agreed to buy A&R Carton's beer and beverage packaging business in Europe for EUR19m (US$24.7m), the US company's second takeover in two weeks.
The acquisition, which also assumes a EUR7m debt, will give Graphic Packaging “a significant position in the European folding carton market”, the company said yesterday (28 November). The deal is subject to closing requirements and expected to complete late next month.
Graphic Packaging announced the GBP71m (US$113.7m) acquisition of Contego Packaging's European business earlier this month, with sites in the UK, Netherlands and Ireland. The two takeovers are expected to generate US$16m-$18m of synergies over the next two years and create a $500m combined business, Graphic Packaging said.
The A&R beer and beverage packaging business includes two manufacturing facilities in Germany and Netherlands that convert about 30,000 tonnes of paperboard each year, Graphic Packaging said.
Graphic Packaging's products include packaging for beer and carbonated and non-carbonated beverages.
Last month, Tetra Pak completed a EUR42m upgrade of its Singapore operations to boost production by a third.
Sectors: The off-trade
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends