CANADA: Government votes in favour of alcohol health warnings
If the federal government backs the motion, labels would warn women against the effects of alcohol during pregnancy saying: "Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause birth defects."
MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis brought forth the motion because of her concerns about Foetal Alcohol Syndrome, a manifestation of specific growth, mental and physical birth defects associated with a mother's high levels of alcohol use during pregnancy.
She said in her debate: "We are a lighthouse sending a warning of the dangers that can occur when drinking while pregnant. People who would otherwise not be aware of the link between drinking while pregnant and foetal alcohol syndrome are taking note. It does help and it does make a difference."
This is the first attempt made at labelling legislation for alcoholic drinks in Canada.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- The just-drinks Analyst
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Molson Coors targets cost-savings - FY16 results
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends