FINLAND: Government to press for EU tax hike on spirits, beer
Finland plans to press for a hike in the minimum level of duty on spirits and beer during its presidency of the EU later on this year, according to local reports.
Finland takes over the presidency in the second half of this year and wants duty raised as private imports of alcohol into the country are on the increase.
Cross-border shopping to neighbouring Estonia, which has lower taxes on alcohol, has boomed since the Baltic states joined the EU in 2004.
Local reports quoted Finnish finance minister Eero Heinaluoma as saying the issue would be raised during Finland's presidency but that the country had no plans to propose a minimum tax on wine.
"Wine is such a sensitive topic, and is not a problem for Finland. Problems come from imports of spirits and beer," he told Finnish news agency STT yesterday (7 May).
EU alcohol controls are under review, and there have been concerns that the Finnish presidency could prompt a more draconian approach. Ismo Tuominen, head of alcohol policy at Finland’s ministry of so...
Major brewing groups are clamouring to get into India, which, by dint of its young population, expanding economy and rising personal disposable income offers huge growth potential. International group...
US beverage alcohol distributor The Charmer Sunbelt Group has announced a sales appointment at one of its member companies....
The biggest cause of death in Finland is alcohol, according to a recent study....
A top politician in Russia has called for a state monopoly on the sale of alcoholic beverages in the country in the wake of the growing number of alcohol-related deaths....
The French government is set to introduce health warning labelling on alcoholic drinks for pregnant women....
Fifteen beverage alcohol producers in the US have paid a combined US$2.3m to settle a probe into rebates and gifts given to retailers to market their products in New York....
The European Union is looking to offload 100,000 hectolitres of wine for distillation. The wine, which is stored in two locations in France, has been put out to tender with a deadline for bids of 10 N...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018