NORWAY: Government steps back from drinks sector shake-up
The new Norwegian Government will not expand retail coverage of beer and wine
Wine will not be sold in grocery stores under changes planned by Norway’s new centre-right government, despite initial reports.
Late last month, the Conservatives (Høyre) and the Progress Party (Framskrittspartiet), which formed a coalition following this year's election, were considering the sale of high abv beer and wine in mainstream grocery stores, as well as state monopoly-run Vinmonopolet outlets.
However, a pact with Norway’s other two parties, including the Christian Democrats, means that Vinmonopolet will undergo only minor changes to its operations.
“There will be no change in the way of importing and distributing alcohol in Norway with the new Government,” said Pål-Helge Kraknes, MD of Altia-owned Strøm. “The parties now running Norway need support from other parties, including Kristelig Folkeparti [Christian Democrats], which is anti-alcohol.”
Vinmonopolet’s Ida Brenden Engholt confirmed that the company’s stores would start opening on Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, Easter Saturday and Pentecost, probably in 2014.
The Future of the Wine Market in Norway to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Wine consumption trends in Norway, providing historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, alcoholic strength (Fortified Win...read more
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review