CZECH: Government seeks talks with Pernod
The Czech government has said it wants to continue talks with Pernod Ricard over the French company's plans to acquire a 59% stake in the state-owned distillery Jan Becher-Karlovarska Becherovka (JBKB).
Czech sources are claiming that a government official confirmed the government's intentions to local journalists this week. However, Czech companies, Karlovarske Mineralni Vody (KMV) and Bohemia Sekt (BS) have also reportedly expressed an interest in JBKB.
Earlier the government dismissed a privatisation plan to sell to Pernod a controlling stake in the maker of Becherovka - in which Pernod already holds a 37% - because the French group had demanded trademark guarantees before it paid for the business.
Pernod was demanding protection from a Czech businessman Zdenek Hoffman who claims to be the true heir to the Becherovka brand and is producing his own version of the drink from Slovenia.
However, Pernod said recently it is now willing to purchase a further stake in the distillery without receiving any specific guarantee from the government on trademark risks.
Strategic Review 2001 Pernod Ricard
Companies: Pernod Ricard
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends