UK: Government re-launches TV ad warning over drinking levels
The UK Government is reviving a TV advertising campaign urging people to lower their alcohol intake.
The 'Change4Life' TV ad urges the public to check their drinking levels and abstain from alcohol for at least two days a week. The narrator of the ad, which forms the main part of a nation-wide campaign, says that drinking can “sneak up on your organs, giving them a hard time”.
A Department of Health spokesperson told just-drinks today (8 February) that GBP2.27m (US$3.59m) is being spent on the alcohol side of the wider Change4Life campaign.
A longer version of the ad first appeared about a year ago.
The UK's chief medical officer said: “I understand that people enjoy having a glass of wine or beer to unwind at the end of a busy day – but these drinks stack up and can increase your risk of high blood pressure, cancer or liver disease.”
The Government currently recommends that men should not regularly drink more than three to four units a day, while women should avoid regularly drinking more than two to three units in a day.
Proposals have also been drawn up by the UK Government to introduce a GBP0.45 minimum unit price on alcohol. The deadline on a ten-week public consultation on the measure closed this week. In Scotland, a GBP0.50 minimum has passed into law, but has not been enacted due to a two-pronged legal challenged by the Scotch Whisky Association.
The Wine & Spirit Trade Association also launched a campaign against minimum pricing last week.
The UK Coalition Government has officially abandoned plans to introduce minimum unit pricing for alcohol in England and Wales....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research