SWEDEN: Government prepares tough ad laws
The Swedish drinks industry is bracing itself for a tough set of advertising laws following the ruling by the EU last year that the country must drop its total ban on drinks adverts.
The news service AFP reported today that the Swedish Social Affairs Ministry has said it has submitted a bill for review that would bar advertisers from glamourising alcoholic drinks. People would not be allowed to appear in alcoholic drinks advertising, which would also be required to include warning texts and could not target people under the age of 25.
The new law would take effect on 1 January 2005.
Sweden has a tough track record on alcohol sales and has long looked to limit underage drinking and alcohol harm through government intervention. Not only is the alcohol retail monopoly controlled by the State, but in 1978 the country banned alcohol advertising.
However, last year the Swedish Market Court upheld a 2001 ruling by the European Court of Justice that the ban violated European regulations on the free circulation of goods and services.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review