SWEDEN: Government may retain stake in V&S - report
The Swedish government is considering keeping a stake in soon-to-be-privatised spirits producer V&S, local reports have suggested, while speculation is also growing that the sale price could fall due to the current turmoil on credit markets.
Swedish newspaper Dagens Industri cited sources yesterday (30 January) as saying that private equity firms Investor and EQT, who are thought to have tabled a joint bid, have suggested the Swedish government keep a stake in V&S, or retain an option to buy back a stake later in the event of a deal.
The paper added that the suggestion is an attempt by the companies to sweeten their bid in the eyes of the government, which is reportedly considering this as an option.
At the same time, Esmerk Swedish News reported that an analyst from Sanford Bernstein believes the price for V&S could be impacted by market volatility. The analyst forecast that V&S could be worth about US$6bn, compared with the general consensus that V&S is worth up to $7bn.
The sale of the owner of the Absolut vodka brand has drawn interest from Fortune Brands, Pernod Ricard, Bacardi, Diageo and Investor in partnership with EQT. Bain Capital and UB Group have also been linked to potential bids.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Castle Brands has secured 'going concern' status, as it continues its hunt for transactions to secure its future....
Pernod Ricard has hinted it may sell off more spirits brands following its successful takeover of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit....
Pernod Ricard has announced it has completed its €5.69bn acquisition of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit, after receiving the green light from EU competition authorities....
The Absolut Spirits Company has launched a limited edition, "city-inspired" Absolut Vodka flavour....
Russian Standard Vodka has launched its Standard Original brand in Taiwan....
French wine and spirit company Belvédère has been placed in judicial protection and is now exempt from debt repayment for six to 12 months....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report