KOREA: Government launches Diageo probe
Diageo has admitted that it is under investigation from the South Korean government but has refuted claims that the probe concerns tax evasion.
The UK drinks giant said today (27 March) that its local business unit is "fully co-operating" with the South Korean authorities.
However, the company declined to comment further. "We can confirm that Diageo Korea is under investigation but we cannot comment on specific government investigations," Diageo said.
Reports in Korea today claimed that South Korea's tax investigators were investigating Diageo - an allegation the company, which leads the country's Scotch whisky category, hotly denies.
Diageo has enjoyed strong sales in South Korea in recent months. Although Diageo refuses to disclose sales figures on a market-by-market basis, last month the company said it had strengthened its leadership of the whisky sector in South Korea during the six months to 31 December.
Meanwhile, Diageo earlier this month appointed a new head for its business in South Korea. JongWoo Kim, who joined Diageo last year as commercial director in Asia, was named managing director, replacing replaces Duck Song, who passed away earlier this month.
The Scotch whisky category is booming globally thanks to demand in Asia and the BRIC countries, particularly for blends, but mature markets in Europe are proving more sluggish. In this month's Just th...
Diageo has completed the first stage in its Scotch whisky investment programme....
Diageo has announced changes to its board of directors....
Global drinks force Diageo is backing the "We Don't Serve Teens" campaign, aimed at reducing teen access to alcohol, as it rolls out in Arizona....
Diageo has declared that this week's US interest rate cut would give a boost to consumers, but there had been minimal impact from any slowdown on its drinks, according to reports....
Global drinks giant Diageo is joining forces with consumer survey specialists Zagat Survey to provide what the companies describe as "the first online resource guide to restaurants that are dedicated ...
Diageo-owned Bourbon brand Crown Royal has unveiled a new whisky with a flavour of Cognac. The ultra-premium offering, Crown Royal Cask No. 16, has been aged in rare Cognac casks....
Bacardi has been tipped as the most likely winner for the hand of Vin & Sprit, should the Swedish company be put up for sale....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends