SWEDEN: Government confirms plan to sell V&S
The centre-right government, which came to power in September, officially announced today (14 December) that V&S would be among the six state-controlled companies it would look to privatise.
Speaking to just-drinks, a spokesperson for V&S said: "The government has now decided how it wants to organise the potential sale of six state-owned companies. They have decided it will be the Minister of Economics who will take care of the privatisation process."
The spokesperson added: "There is no news on how, when or where the privatisation will take place."
The Swedish government will need to get approval from the country's parliament to sell off the state-owned companies, which also include telecoms firm TeliaSonera AB and Nordic banking group Nordea AB.
No time-frame was given on any sale but the Swedish authorities are rumoured to be looking to begin the process of selling V&S in March.
The privatisation plans cover up to SEK150bn (US$21.8bn) of state-owned assets. Nevertheless, the V&S spokesperson noted that the value of the six companies that are slated to be sold is "way over" SEK150bn.
Speculation on the future of V&S has grown since the change in government in September. A number of drinks companies have been named as possible buyers, including Constellation Brands, Brown-Forman, Bacardi and Pernod Ricard.
V&S Group's move into the local Chinese spirits market via a joint venture with Sichuan company JianNanChun offers the Swedish company access to the growing premium sector of a massive spirits industr...
Double digit growth of the company's leading spirits brands helped Brown-Forman Corporation report record earnings for its full year....
A new body has been created to focus on alcohol and health in Europe....
Fuller, Smith & Turner has posted a healthy rise in its full-year figures....
Soyuz-Victan USA has appointed Georgia Crown Distributing Co. and Alabama Crown Distributing as distributors for its Silk Vodka in Georgia and Alabama....
The possible privatisation of a brewery in Belarus has a slew of global brewers pondering a purchase, according to reports....
The majority owner of Carlsberg is keen for the brewer to grow outside of potential partnerships, according to reports....
Fraser & Neave is expected to sell S$300m (US$196m) in five-year bonds in the next few weeks, according to reports....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- ASA bans Diageo's Captain Morgan UK ad
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review