MEXICO: Government bans uncertified tequila exports
The Mexican government will only allow the export of packaged Tequila with certificates of origin from 1 January 2004, the director of the Tequila Regulatory Council, Ramón González, said yesterday. Producers and exporters will have until 2005 before the ban on uncertified exports is fully applied.
The move marks a major shift for the industry. In the first six months of 2003, only 27% of Tequila exports were packaged and had certificates of origin, while the remaining 73% were bulk liquid exports.
Mexico produced 61.8m litres of Tequila in the first half of this year, of which 51.3m litres were exported, according to the figures published by the regulatory council. The US accounts for some 80% of exports.
The government's decision follows a request by the regulatory council to boost the status of Tequila and provide quality guarantees.
Certificates of origin will only be granted to tequila produced in the western states of Nayarit, Guanajuato, Michoacán and Jalisco, as well as the northern states of Tamaulipas.
Tequila will not be allowed to leave these zones unless it is properly packaged and labelled.
The government has also approved plans to produce Tequila with fruit flavours from 1 January 2004 onwards.
German spirits group Borco has struck a distribution deal in India for its Sierra Tequila brand....
The US and Mexico have struck an agreement on Tequila allowing US distributors to import the spirit in bulk and bottle it north of the border....
Blavod Extreme Spirits is in talks to expand distribution of El Diamante del Cielo Tequila in the US....
Hayman Distillers has unveiled the first phase of its relaunch for the Scorpion Tequila brand with new packaging for the Gold and Silver variants in the range. ...
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Government inspectors carrying out checks on bars, restaurants and nightclubs in the greater Athens area have found that 100% of samples of rum and tequila had been adulterated....
Spanish brewer Estrella Galicia is to invest €30m between 2006-08 to grow its domestic wine and water businesses, a company spokeswoman confirmed to just-drinks....
Mexico, the US and Canada will sign an accord aimed at boosting the quality of Tequila-based produced outside Mexico, a spokeswoman for supplier's lobby Consejo Regulador del Tequila (CRT) confirmed t...
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research