SPAIN: Government accused of confusion over wine
Wine producers in Spain are accusing the government of taking contradictory positions regarding wine consumption. In response to falling sales, the Agriculture Ministry has launched a campaign promoting wine as Spain's national drink of nutritional, historic and cultural value.
At the same time, the Interior Ministry has included wine on its blacklist in its crackdown on the botellon, the fashion for drinking alcohol in the street.
The wine industry has protested against the so-called "dry law," claiming it unfairly penalises the consumption of wine over other drinks. The industry believes the government should educate consumers about wine's traditional place in the Mediterranean diet.
The Agriculture Ministry has drafted a law in relation to the wine industry which could allow for public support for campaigns aimed at promoting and encouraging moderate consumption.
Agriculture Minister Miguel Arias Canete has pledged his support to wine producers in their bid to modify the drinking legislation. The government has been accused of having contradictory and confused views and policies regarding the problems of alcohol misuse and the role wine has to play in society and the economy.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?