SOUTH AFRICA: Gordon's Gin stays with Distell
Distell has retained its exclusive licensing rights to Gordon's Gin in Southern Africa following a Pretoria High Court ruling against Diageo subsidiary Guinness-UDV.
Diageo gave notice in 2001 that it wanted to terminate the 27-year agreement it had entered into with the old Distillers Corporation.
With annual sales of more than 5 000 litres a year, it is South Africa's leading gin brand and one of the top white spirit brands.
In terms of the contract, Distell was required to maintain a minimum sales target, which the group had exceeded each year.
The restructuring of the Diageo Group was Guinness-UDV's main argument for wanting to return the brand back to its own fold.
Distell welcomed the latest judgement, hard on the heels of the successful conclusion of its merger.
"The removal of these obstacles allows us to proceed unhindered with our plans to become South Africa's leading marketer and exporter of world-class brands," said corporate affairs director, André Steyn.
Distell has a portfolio of more than 300 wine, cider and spirit products.
Diageo is to launch a national advertising campaign for its gin band Tanqueray in the US....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Maxxium Global Travel Retail is to enter the US duty free market on 1 July 2005, when it will take over responsibility for the brand portfolios currently represented by Future Brands Duty Free and DFD...
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report