EU: Global indications register proposed
The European Union (EU) has released more details of its proposed global register of geographical indications for wines and spirits it wants agreed during the World Trade Organisation's (WTO) ongoing Doha Development Round.
In a paper issued to the WTO TRIPs (trade related aspects of intellectual property rights) council, the EU proposed rules that a registered term should be protected in all WTO countries except in a member country challenging it. Registration costs would be borne by the owners of the registered indications.
The EU also tabled rules for dealing with existing trademarks conflicting with proposed geographical indications, and how governments could challenge existing registrations they had not initially opposed.
Global sales of Scotch whisky may have recently gone through the GBP1bn barrier but, writes Chris Losh, worries over declining volumes in major markets such as France and Spain have resulted in cautio...
After 20 years, the EU has finally agreed a wine trade treaty with the US but European producers fear that too much ground has been given, particularly with regard to the protection of places of origi...
The latest export figures for Scotch whisky make uncomfortable reading for brand marketers and the strategists at the Scotch Whisky Association, showing declines in both Asian and European markets. C...
The World Trade Organisation has upheld its ruling against Mexico in the soft drink row with the US....
World Trade Organisation talks on creating a register for wine and spirit geographical designations have failed after two years of negotiations....
India has decided not to sign a EU-proposed multilateral wines and spirits registry....
The US claims that it has won a World Trade Organisation (WTO) case against Mexico, with a disputes panel ruling a 20% tax on Mexican soft drinks manufactured with imported high-fructose corn syrup br...
The US Commerce Department has introduced preliminary anti-dumping duties of up to 60% on orange juice from Brazil following complaints from Florida citrus growers accusing Brazilian producers of comp...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer