GLOBAL: GlaxoSmithKline eyes "globalisation" for drinks brands
GlaxoSmithKline has said that the US is on its list for global launches
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has said it still plans to launch its Lucozade energy drink in the US "when the time is right", and that it is also eyeing other global markets.
The UK-based Ribena maker told attendees at a retail summit in June last year that it planned to roll-out Lucozade in the US, in a bid to reduce the brand's reliance on the UK market.
To date, however, the launch has not happened. GSK category controller Mark Sterratt told just-drinks this week that the US is still on the list.
"We haven't yet [launched in the US] and it is something that we are continually evaluating," he said, adding: "When we feel the time is right we will have a think about what the opportunities are in the US. But for us, it's not just about the US, we do believe that our brands can be globalised. So watch this space."
Sterratt said that the group has some "really exciting globalisation plans" for its brands.
"We are looking to launch our brands into new markets all the time and we're actively looking at China, Brazil, Mexico and India," Sterratt said. "They are all big markets that we're looking to launch into."
Last week, GSK lined up four new drinks product launches as part of a multi-million pound investment in its soft drinks portfolio in 2011.
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research