UK: Gin & Vodka Association shuts up shop
The Gin & Vodka Association will transfer to the Wine and Spirit Trade Association on 1 January.
UK trade body The Gin & Vodka Association has announced that it is to cease operations.
The organisation, which was formed in 1991 through the merger of the Vodka Trade Association and the Gin Rectifiers and Distillers Association, confirmed to just-drinks earlier today (16 December) that it will close at the end of this year. The GVA will subsequently see The Wine and Spirit Trade Association expand its role to cover gin and vodka.
The move will see the formation of a 'Spirits Council' within the WSTA to represent the interests of spirits companies, which will be chaired by the recently-appointed chairman of the GVA, Bob Rishworth of Halewood International.
Two members of staff will switch to the WSTA from the GVA: Graham Bateman will continue as spirits policy director, while Louise Foxwell will hold her post as spirits policy manager.
When contacted by just-drinks this morning, the GVA's director general, Edwin Atkinson, said: “The GVA from time to time reviews its structures and ways of working to improve its effectiveness in the future as part of the drinks industry's lobby both in the UK and internationally. To that end, we have discussed the benefits to our members of joining forces with the WSTA.”
Atkinson declined to comment further on the development.
The first part of March's management briefing looks at the alcoholic drinks industry's use of corporate social responsibility in the UK....
The Public Health Responsibility Deal, unveiled by the UK government today, underlines its commitment to voluntary company-led measures to tackle alcohol-related problems. However, Ben Cooper believes...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)