UK: Gin sales rise, but overall alcohol sales down
Gin has bucked a decline in overall UK alcohol sales in the last year to post a 2% rise in volumes and 8% value increase, a new report has revealed.
UK off-trade sales in the 12 months to the end of July fell by 1%, the latest Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) Market Report found. On-trade sales also dropped by 3%.
But gin saw volumes and value increase by 2% and 8% respectively over the same period, the report said.
Sparkling wine sales rose by 5% over the year and by 12% in the past 12 weeks driven by the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the report said. Champagne sales increased by 10% in the same period.
WSTA chief executive Miles Beale said: “Even though overall alcohol sales are declining, some categories are showing encouraging signs of recovery, which is good news for the trade.
“The mood of the nation has been very positive over the summer thanks to the jubilee and the build-up to the Olympics, so it’s perhaps not surprising to see an increase in sales of those products associated with celebration.”
The UK hosted a number of events this summer, including the Jubilee and the London Olympics. Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine added to the festivities.
The WSTA data also revealed that sales of wines costing more than GBP5 (US$8) represent around one-third of total off-trade wine volumes.
The UK Government is reviving a TV advertising campaign urging people to lower their alcohol intake....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research