POLAND: Germany's Eckes eyes up Wyborowa distiller
German spirits distributor Eckes is a front runner to buy one of Poland's largest vodka producers and maker of the Wyborowa brand, according to Polish press reports.Polmos Poznan is expected to be privatised by the end of this year, and, according to Poznan's president Janusz Michalski, the distillery needs a branch investor who will invest in marketing and promoting Poznan vodka brands.Eckes is reportedly looking to acquire a 10% share of the Polish vodka market. It is particularly interested in two brands of Polish vodka, including Wyborowa. It has also been reported to have it sights on Zubrowka, the popular bison grass brand.Poznan has a 18% share of the Polish vodka market while Wyborowa makes up 90% of its export revenues.However, the ownership of vodka export rights for investors in Polish distilleries is still unclear. The controversial law passed by the Polish parliament that will confiscate from Agros (the once state-owned export business) the export rights to many Polish vodkas, including Wyborowa, and hand them back to the producers, has been referred to the Constitutional Court.Many industry followers including Agros controller Pernod Ricard view the law as illegal.In the meantime the privatisation of Poland's vodka industry goes on. Poznan was put on the market last week. The Ministry of Treasury invited potential bidders to negotiations concerning the purchase of over 51% of the business.Chris Brook-Carter
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014