EU: Geographical protection talks at WTO
The European Union has moved to exploit this week's (Sep 10-13) World Trade Organisation summit in Cancun to press the protection of geographical names of traditionally made European drinks.
It has formally proposed that WTO member governments agree a global list of protected products and has identified 22 European lines for inclusion, such Bordeaux, Cognac, Sherry and Port, but not Scotch.
Such an idea has been discussed under stalled WTO negotiations over a register of wine and spirit designations, but Brussels wants this list written into another - much broader - trade deal, the WTO agreement on agriculture. This will enable the Commission to offer other market access rights in exchange for concessions on geographical name protection.
The Port industry is currently facing a period of considerable change and adjustment. Innovation and evolving a modern, viable industry structure are seen as vital if Port is to compete effectively in...
The latest export figures for Scotch whisky make uncomfortable reading for brand marketers and the strategists at the Scotch Whisky Association, showing declines in both Asian and European markets. C...
The World Trade Organisation has upheld its ruling against Mexico in the soft drink row with the US....
Three Port shippers are for sale as consolidation continues to bite in the Douro Valley....
World Trade Organisation talks on creating a register for wine and spirit geographical designations have failed after two years of negotiations....
India has decided not to sign a EU-proposed multilateral wines and spirits registry....
The US claims that it has won a World Trade Organisation (WTO) case against Mexico, with a disputes panel ruling a 20% tax on Mexican soft drinks manufactured with imported high-fructose corn syrup br...
Leading US and European wine regions are to sign a declaration to protect and promote "location" within the wine industry, the Office Of Champagne in the US said yesterday (18 July)....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report