USA: Genesee Brewing Buyout Collapses
Genesee Brewing Co., has canceled an agreement to sell the fifth-largest US brewery to Platinum Holdings, owner of City Brewing Co. in La Crosse, Wis.Tom Hubbard, chief executive said "we believe that the interests of our shareholders will be better served by terminating the agreement." Genesee stated that the reason for the collapsed deal was that unspecified terms were not met. It is now exploring alternative strategies including a management-led buyout.Genesee produces 1.6 million barrels of beer and ale a year and had revenues of $103.3 million in the 1998-99 fiscal year. The buyout was to have been completed by mid-March. Under the deal, Genesee Brewing would operate under a new name with most of its 470 workers retaining their jobs.Genesee said it has saved about $8 million after a turnaround program it started last summer. In December, it reintroduced its 12 Horse Ale brand and is aiming to reinvigorate its Genesee line with promotional campaigns during this summer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts