USA: Geerlings & Wade Inc. Reports Second Quarter Results
Geerlings & Wade, Inc. (Nasdaq: GEER), the nation's largest direct marketer and Internet retailer of premium wines and wine-related products to consumers, today reported financial results for the second quarter of 2000.Net sales for the second quarter ended June 30, 2000 were $8.9 million, an increase of $.33 million, or 3.8%, over net sales of $8.6 million for the comparable quarter in 1999. Net loss for the second quarter ended June 30, 2000 was $357,000, or $0.09 per share, compared to net income of $217,000, or $0.06 per share, for the second quarter of 1999.In the second quarter, Geerlings & Wade had e-commerce sales of $1,531,000, an increase of 295% over e-commerce sales of $388,000 during the second quarter of 1999. Sales from acquisition mailings in the second quarter of 2000 increased $390,000 as compared to second quarter 1999 due to improved response rates to mailings and because of the timing of certain mailings. Certain expenses increased during the second quarter of 2000 over 1999 causing the $731,000 decrease in earnings. The two most significant increases included a charge of $305,000 related to certain severance payments and increased delivery costs of $231,000 related to changing delivery companies in the fourth quarter of 1999.David Pearce, President of Geerlings & Wade, Inc., commented, "I am pleased with our second quarter results. Sales increased, and, had it not been for severance payments and certain legal expenses, we would have been profitable for the quarter. We intend to continue this positive trend by increasing sales over 1999 and making a profit in the second half of 2000. Internet sales continue to grow rapidly representing 17% of overall sales during this past quarter. We continue to encourage existing customers to migrate to the online channel. Approximately 21% of our new customers were acquired through the online channel,
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends