UK: GBP8.00 "a starting point" for Carlsberg, Heineken - S&N
Whilst Scottish & Newcastle has said that it is still not prepared to talk to the Carlsberg/Heineken consortium regarding its prospective takeover, the UK brewer has set a "starting point" for potential negotiations.
S&N has today (10 January) rejected the latest offer of GBP7.80 per share from the two European brewers. In a statement, the UK company said it is prepared to meet with the consortium only when a GBP8.00 offer is tabled.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for S&N said: "GBP8.00 just about gets you through the door." The spokesperson highlighted that the majority of the consortium's improved offer - up from GBP7.50 proposed in November - was eaten up by currency fluctuations between November and this week.
"GBP8.00 per share is a starting point," the spokesperson continued. "It is not a finishing point."
Carlsberg and Heineken have until 21 January to table a formal bid. The deadline, set by the UK Takeover Panel, dictates that Carlsberg and Heineken would not be permitted to table a further bid after the deadline for six months.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Carlsberg has increased its control of Estonian brewer Saku Ölletehas....
The CEO of Asia Pacific Breweries is set to step down from his post....
Carlsberg has completed the sale of three Scandinavian soft drinks and water brands to The Coca-Cola Co....
InBev has confirmed full details of the impending launch of Stella Artois 4% abv in the UK....
Anheuser-Busch is to take complete ownership of its brewing joint venture in India....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Baltika has started exporting its beer brands to Romania and Hungary....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends