US: Gatorade Tiger Woods “unfaithful” labelling suspect arrested
Labels on several bottles of Gatorade had been tampered with in Colorado
A man from Colorado in the US has been arrested and charged with misbranding and altering food labels after he allegedly stuck labels on bottles of PepsiCo's Gatorade drinks brand in the state.
Jason Kay, 38, was arrested yesterday (13 January) in Longmont, Colorado, after several bottles of tropical-mango flavoured Gatorade had been found labelled with a photograph of Tiger Woods and his wife on one side, and the word "unfaithful" on the other side.
PepsiCo had signed a multi-year licensing deal with Tiger Woods in 2007, but dropped its Gatorade Tiger Focus drink late last year. The company denied at the time that its decision was linked to media speculation surrounding Woods' private life.
"The consumer must have confidence that the labelling on the products they purchase has not been changed or altered in any way so that the information about the product is accurate," said US Attorney David Gaouette yesterday. "Once a label is illegally changed, all of the information on that label is put into question.”
Kay is expected to make his initial appearance in US District Court in Denver today, and could face up to three years in jail and a fine of up to US$250,000 if found guilty.
While most of the alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages produced in Brazil are consumed domestically, the exception is the juice sector. Brazil is one of the world's top three producers of tropical fr...
Given the fast-growing domestic consumption of branded drinks, Chinese beverage manufacturers are racing to expand their production....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts