US: Gallo Sues Hilton to Block Use of Its Name
The US wine giant E&J Gallo is suing the famous Hilton Hotels Corp to stop it from opening a chain of Italian restaurants named Gallo Rosso, according to today's Los Angeles times.
Gallo says it has $600m since it began using the name in 1933 promoting the name and selling billions of bottles of wine. It claims consumers would "invariably associate" the new restaurants with Gallo wines, causing "Gallo to lose control of the manner in which its famous trademark is promoted." Consumers would subsequently get the impression "there are now two Gallo brands, one for wine and another for Italian restaurants."
The suit was filed last week in US District Court in Fresno.
Having been something of a European institution for years, the end of duty-free, the lowering of some Nordic duty rates and cheaper prices in domestic supermarkets have combined to reduce the allure o...
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Gallo has finally reached an agreement with the union United Farm Workers, after around two years of talks....
Thresher has selected E&J Gallo to produce its own-label California wine range....
Heineken USA has appointed a new general manager for its Central Region....
E&J Gallo winery is launching its first French wine brand, Red Bicyclette, in the UK....
Ernest and Julio Gallo has become the target for protests from workers in the US....
National Wine & Spirits has posted its figures for the fiscal year 2005....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research