US: Gallo Sues Hilton to Block Use of Its Name
The US wine giant E&J Gallo is suing the famous Hilton Hotels Corp to stop it from opening a chain of Italian restaurants named Gallo Rosso, according to today's Los Angeles times. Gallo says it has $600m since it began using the name in 1933 promoting the name and selling billions of bottles of wine. It claims consumers would "invariably associate" the new restaurants with Gallo wines, causing "Gallo to lose control of the manner in which its famous trademark is promoted." Consumers would subsequently get the impression "there are now two Gallo brands, one for wine and another for Italian restaurants."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research