US: Gallo reaches agreement with union
Gallo has finally reached an agreement with the union United Farm Workers, after around two years of talks.
"Gallo believes it made a very generous and fair contract proposal," John Segale, a spokesman for Gallo, said in a statement.
He declined to discuss the specifics of the new contract.
He continued: "We are pleased that the employees ratified the company's offer."
According to the Associated Press, the 30-month contract will see wages rise 9.5%, to US$8.98 an hour, including a unilateral pay raise Gallo granted in April.
The contract covers close to 300 direct-hire workers and contract employees at Gallo.
UFW spokesman Edgar Pagaza said: "We are finally satisfied that we have been able to come to an agreement. This is a battle that has been going on for a quite a while."
Pagaza said the union had won several key battles for its workers.
The contract will also see a reduction in the amount workers pay for their health coverage and an annual US$400 bonus for farm labour contractor employees instead of medical benefits.
Having been something of a European institution for years, the end of duty-free, the lowering of some Nordic duty rates and cheaper prices in domestic supermarkets have combined to reduce the allure o...
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Reports have suggested that the Canadian wine company Vincor International Inc., currently the subject of a hostile takeover bid by Constellation Brands, is in talks with at least five prospective bid...
Thresher has selected E&J Gallo to produce its own-label California wine range....
Heineken USA has appointed a new general manager for its Central Region....
E&J Gallo winery is launching its first French wine brand, Red Bicyclette, in the UK....
Ernest and Julio Gallo has become the target for protests from workers in the US....
National Wine & Spirits has posted its figures for the fiscal year 2005....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report