UK: Future gloom for test-tube drinks? Portman Group rules
A ruling by the Portman Group's complaints panel in the UK has thrown the future of test-tube drink producers into doubt.
The Independent Complaints Panel at the trade body ruled today (14 October) that a test-tube alcoholic drink called Mmwah could not easily be put down on a flat surface, meaning consumers were likely to drink its contents in one go. The product's test-tube packaging contravenes a change in the Portman Group's code of practice, introduced last year, to prevent companies from promoting rapid or down-in-one drinking in their marketing.
The complaint against Mmwah was lodged by Alcohol Focus Scotland, which has subsequently complained against four other companies which use test-tubes for their beverages.
"The panel considered the design of Mmwah's packaging made it difficult for consumers not to down the drink," said the Portman Group's chief executive David Poley. "The industry shouldn't be urging this potentially harmful style of consumption. The panel will therefore clarify the position on these other test-tube products as soon as possible."
The UK's Portman Group is to take action against a drink it claims leaves consumers guessing whether it contains alcohol or not....
The UK government has confirmed that it will maintain a ban on the placement of branded alcohol and soft drinks high in sugar in television programmes....
The Portman Group, the drinks industry's self-regulatory body, has rejected a "slur" on the sector by the author of an article in the British Medical Journal....
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India