INDIA: Further Indian taxes boost black market warns industry
Under the new laws, brands under $20 a case will attract additional taxes of 150%; for cases between $20 and $40 an extra 100% will be levied and a 75% tax has been placed on brands over $40 a case.
Including the basic duty of 224% and State levies, the net duty on imported alcohol will be as high as 740% on goods not exceeding $20 per case, 549% for the $20-$40 category and 467% for cases above $40.
Commenting to India's Financial Express, UDV general manager global brands Sunhil Sethi said: "It's rather disappointing that in the budget, instead of curtailing the current tariff additional duty has been imposed on imported spirits."
He said that a 750ml bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label would now cost around Rs4,670 ($100.40) while the Red Label of the brand would cost Rs1,800 ($38.70).
Sethi continued: "It is definitely going to affect companies like us. The end consumer price is beyond affordable reach of consumers. However I think the biggest setback is for the Centre since the demand will further shift from the legitimate to the illegitimate channels due to these measures, thereby causing a huge loss of revenue."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Heineken unveils global Desperados push
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014