UK: Fuller, Smith & Turner launches Bières de Chimay's Chimay Gold
Chimay Gold has launched in draught format in 19 Fuller's pubs
Fuller, Smith & Turner has teamed up with Bieres de Chimay to become the exclusive UK importer of the Trappist brewer's Chimay Gold.
The 4.8% abv "golden beer", known in Belgium as Chimay Doree, was launched in draught format in around 20 of Fuller's pubs yesterday (13 May). The beer has been drunk by monks at the Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey, home of the Chimay Brewery, for more than 100 years.
It is the first time the beer has been made available outside Belgium.
At a launch event in London yesterday, Edwin Dedoncker, Chimay's MD said the move is a "rare innovation" for the company. "We are quite excited, it's an historical moment," he told guests.
Chimay Gold is being sold for GBP3.80-GBP4.00 for a two-third pint serving.
As part of the deal, Fuller's will also become the exclusive importer and distributor of Chimay Red, Chimay Triple and Chimay Blue in the UK off-trade.
The move marks the latest in a trend of traditional UK brewers partnering with overseas producers. Last month, Charles Wells launched a beer with US craft brewer Dogfish Head. Meanwhile, last July, Kent brewer Shepherd Neame launched a limited-ale ale with Boston Beer Company.
Fuller's is also looking to collaborate with a US brewer, just-drinks understands.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research