UK: Fuller, Smith & Turner beer sales dip, appoints MD
Fuller, Smith & Turner beer sales take a knock
The FIFA World Cup failed to prevent a fall in Fuller, Smith & Turner's beer sales in the first four months of the group's fiscal year.
Sales of own-brewed beer slipped by 2% in volume for the 16 weeks to 17 July, compared to the same period of last year, Fuller's said today (23 July).
However, the London Pride brewer said it had made a good start to the year thanks to a 4% sales increase at its managed pubs and hotels and a 1% profits increase at tenanted pubs.
The group warned of "economic clouds on the horizon", but said it was confident of delivering solid results.
Separately, the brewer has appointed Simon Emeny, its current managing director for Fuller's Inns, to the newly created role of group managing director.
Emeny, who has been with the firm since 1996, will continue to report to chairman Michael Turner and will assume overall responsibility for the operations of the company.
"His new role will enhance Fuller's strong leadership team, ensuring we continue to be the benchmark in both retailing and brewing, serving quality beer in excellent pubs and delivering strong returns for shareholders, while retaining our independence," said Turner.
Anthony Fuller CBE will be stepping down as a non-executive director at Fuller's annual general meeting today, after 43 years on the board.
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Travel Retail model "not sustainable" - Pernod CEO
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts