US: Fruit beer gains hold in "traditional" bars - Paulaner HP USA
The new CEO of Paulaner HP USA has claimed that fruit beers are losing their stigma among “traditional” male consumers in the country's on-trade.
Stephen Hauser, who replaced Jeff Coleman at the beer importer earlier this year, told just drinks today that products such as the company's Früli brand have been benefiting from the new trend. The strawberry Belgium beer is “making noise” across the country, he added, with growth coming in some unlikely locations.
“Some of our most popular states are in the mid-west of the US, which is traditional lager beer country,” Hauser said. “You'd be surprised how many men - and men you wouldn't expect - we've observed drinking this product.”
Asked if the stigma over fruit beers has lessened among mainstream consumers, Hauser agreed, saying that a growing cocktail culture in the US has helped pave the way for sweeter beers. Spirit mixes such as Anheuser-Busch InBev's Lime-a-Rita and its extensions have also “helped elevate the awareness” of the fruit beer category, he added.
Meanwhile, the CEO confirmed to just-drinks he took over from Jeff Coleman in mid-May. Hauser, who was a marketing executive with Heineken USA for 14 years, said he plans to increase distribution of the importer's brands by working more closely with distributors.
“We will be focussing on the day-to-day of the beer business but doing it better and a little bit sharper,” he said.
The company handles a range of imported beers, including Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Fuller’s and O’Hara’s, and also markets New Orleans brand Dixie.
Hauser said all imported beers in the US owe “the craft brewers in this country a debt of gratitude”.
“They opened up the eyes of a lot of consumers to different styles of beer - that's what the imports have been trying to do for years and the crafts just exploded that whole notion,” he said.
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Anheuser-Busch InBev NVSA (ABI) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compile...
Canadean's "Heineken UK Limited: Foodservice - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, ke...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research