NEW ZEALAND: Frucor Beverages recalls water over algae fears
Frucor is recalling an entire run of its still water multipack
Suntory subsidiary Frucor Beverages has recalled an entire production run of its still water multipack after a consumer found algae in a bottle.
All NZ Natural multipacks with a best before date between 24 October and 30 October next year should not be drank, the New Zealand soft drinks company announced today (15 August). Frucor said the move is precautionary and the problem is limited to a small number of bottles.
The recall, it said, was prompted by a customer complaint and does not affect any other Frucor products.
Mark Callaghan, CEO of Frucor, which was bought by Suntory from Danone in 2008, said the potential hazard to consumers was low.
“We have identified that this was an issue with one run of bottles and not the water,” he said.
“The water is clear, pure New Zealand spring water and we have resolved that random bottles within this run were likely to not have been cleaned properly by the machine at the time, allowing the possibility of small amounts of green algae to grow if exposed to sunlight.”
It is not clear at this stage how much the recall will cost Frucor.
In this, the third part of Euromonitor International's preview of the year ahead, senior alcoholic drinks analysts Jeremy Cunnington and Spiros Malandrakis turn their attention to the global spirits c...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends