NEW ZEALAND: Frucor Beverages recalls water over algae fears
Frucor is recalling an entire run of its still water multipack
Suntory subsidiary Frucor Beverages has recalled an entire production run of its still water multipack after a consumer found algae in a bottle.
All NZ Natural multipacks with a best before date between 24 October and 30 October next year should not be drank, the New Zealand soft drinks company announced today (15 August). Frucor said the move is precautionary and the problem is limited to a small number of bottles.
The recall, it said, was prompted by a customer complaint and does not affect any other Frucor products.
Mark Callaghan, CEO of Frucor, which was bought by Suntory from Danone in 2008, said the potential hazard to consumers was low.
“We have identified that this was an issue with one run of bottles and not the water,” he said.
“The water is clear, pure New Zealand spring water and we have resolved that random bottles within this run were likely to not have been cleaned properly by the machine at the time, allowing the possibility of small amounts of green algae to grow if exposed to sunlight.”
It is not clear at this stage how much the recall will cost Frucor.
In this, the third part of Euromonitor International's preview of the year ahead, senior alcoholic drinks analysts Jeremy Cunnington and Spiros Malandrakis turn their attention to the global spirits c...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts