FRANCE: French wine and spirit exports fall to New World challenge
However, a more damaging slump was avoided by improved performances in both the Cognac and liqueur categories.
Apart from growing competition from New World producers, such as Australia and Chile, French producers were concerned over revenues in 2001, with monetary parities having been favourable to the Euro in 2000.
Exports to the US showed the strongest growth, up 11%. But the UK, French wines biggest market by value, saw sales fall 15%. France is likely to lose its position as the number one importer of wine into the UK to Australia in the next 12 months.
While overall Cognac sales grew 15% to Euro1.27 billion and total spirits sales were lifted 15% to Euro1.99 billion, revenues from Champagne fell 15% to Euro1.56 billion. Total wine revenues fell 5% to Euro 5.4 billion.
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Recently published research indicates that while consumers have taken to the clear and modern marketing techniques employed by New World producers, they still cherish the romance and mystique of wine,...
Seven French wine co-operatives have joined forces to create a brand to compete with its New World rivals....
US wine and spirits distributor New World Brands has appointed David Rudden as CEO....
UBS has begun its coverage of the Chilean wine producer Concha y Toro (VCO)....
Vincor International has reported a 46% increase in first quarter sales, compared to the same period last year, to C$165.8m, following its acquisition of Western Wines in July last year....
The Norwegian drinks distributor Arcus is to launch its own Argentine wine brand....
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages