FRANCE: French William Grant's boycott follows Raynal & Cie closure
William Grant's & Sons has played down reports of a boycott of its products in Cognac, following the company's decision to close its brandy production facility in the French region.
Reports out of Cognac last week claimed that William Grant's Glenfiddich Scotch whisky brand was the subject of a boycott in the region, in response to last month's announcement that the Raynal & Cie site - which produces the Raynal and Three Barrels brandies - would be closed early next year.
When contacted by just-drinks on Friday (21 November), however, a spokesperson said the boycott was limited in both scale and timeframe. "We have heard of some limited activity in one hypermarket in the region," the spokesperson said. "That activity has now concluded."
The spokesperson also said that the company, which bought Raynal & Cie three years ago, was looking to "maximise the redeployment" of employees elsewhere in the region. "We are also looking at alernative opportunities for the site, in terms of potential jobs."
Up to 44 staff could lose their jobs as a result of the closure.
Brandy blending is set to be farmed out locally in the area, while bottling will be transferred to William Grant's site at Strathclyde, outside Glasgow.
Spirits such as soju and cachaça may be less well known than vodka and whisky, but according to a new report from IWSR and just-drinks, could offer considerable benefits to multinationals, both in und...
The global drinks consumer is heading for "safety" when it comes to drinks brands, according to a recent report....
Already battling the recession, those attending next week's Tax Free World Association (TFWA) Asia Pacific Exhibition are nervously watching developments in the swine flu outbreak, remembering the adv...
William Grant & Sons has launched an online social network for Glenfiddich, making it the latest Scotch whisky brand to build a community for its consumers....
William Grant & Sons is expanding its Glenfiddich Distillery Edition Scotch whisky out of travel retail and into specialist retailers across key markets worldwide....
William Grant & Sons has followed its switch of marketing director last week with the appointment of a new director....
William Grant & Sons has appointed the current MD of Bacardi's travel retail unit as its new group marketing director....
Fortune Brands has reported a 93% dive in first quarter net profits, with sales at Beam Global Spirits & Wine down by more than 5%....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research