FRANCE: French target alcohol consumption by pregnant women
A French government decree on the mandatory introduction on all bottles of wines and spirits of a pictogram highlighting zero tolerance of alcohol consumption by women during pregnancy is poised for publication in the official State Gazette.
Having initially been pencilled for April this year, the PM's office says the decree is now set to be published at the latest in the first few days October. An ad campaign promoting the pictogram is currently being prepared.
The intiative was launched in August 2004 by the then Health minister, Philippe Douste-Blazy, following the opening of a judicial investigation into the lack of information on the dangers of alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
Out of 750,000 births annually in France between 700 and 2,000 babies are affected by foetal alcoholisation syndrome.
Studies claim that alcohol consumption equal to or greater than 20 g/day is associated with a reduced birth weight. Effects on the child's cognitive development have also been seen with a consumption of 20 g/day.
The biennial IFE trade show in London has over the years been the initial launch pad for many successful brands and heralded numerous mainstream trends in the soft drinks sector. Annette Farr visited ...
Economic growth and rising personal incomes in the Asia Pacific region may make it an exciting growth area for international brands but the potential for international spirits varies considerably from...
UK regional brewer Greene King has launched what it claims to be the first bottled English speciality beer....
Finnish state-owned beverage alcohol group Altia Corporation today (21 March) confirmed that it is eyeing the Nordic operations of Absolut vodka owner V&S Group....
UK Chancellor Gordon Brown has introduced index-linked increases to duty on beer, cider and wine in his latest Budget today (21 March). The Chancellor said that the duty on beer, cider and wine would ...
Spain's per-capita wine consumption fell by almost 7% last year, hurt by a steep drop in on-trade sales, just-drinks learnt today (16 March). In all, Spaniards drank 24.9 litres of wine in 2006, down ...
The global brand director for J&B hopes the upcoming GBP10m (US$19.2m) push behind the Scotch whisky brand will help it achieve the global "credibility" it has in Spain, its largest market....
V&S has failed in its last legal attempt to overturn a decision from Swedish alcohol retail monopoly Systembolaget to de-list wines handled by the company....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts