FRANCE: French PM wades into Danone controversy
The possibility of a PepsiCo bid for Danone is continuing to cause controversy in France, with the country's Prime Minister backing calls for the water and food giant to remain in French hands.
As one newspaper reported today (21 July) that the Pepsi board was due to meet tomorrow to discuss a Danone takeover, French prime minister Dominique Villepin added his name to a number of politicians who claimed Danone must stay French.
He added that the government would "defend French interests."
A Dow Jones report today cited a person close to the company who said that the feeling within Danone is that the company knows it could be taken over.
So far this week, government ministers Jean-Louis Borloo and Jean-Francois Cope and former finance ministers Laurent Fabius and Dominique Strauss-Kahn have called for government intervention should a bid emerge.
Danone CEO Franck Riboud has already stated his intention to "fight for Danone's independence."
So far the analyst community seems split on whether PepsiCo will bid for Danone. Sanford Bernstein analyst Andrew Wood, in the press today, gave the possibility of a bid only a 25% to 30% chance.
However, in the same Dow Jones report, Cheuvreux analyst Francois Digard said that a Pepsi bid on Danone is still possible, and that it could offer up to €125 per share.
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Danone has completed another share buyback transaction....
PepsiCo has confirmed that it is to drop its low-calorie drink Pepsi Edge....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
PepsiCo is rolling out a lime version of its Pepsi and Diet Pepsi brands....
Danone has announced plans for a joint venture in India with Japan's Yakult Honsha Co. ...
PepsiAmericas yesterday reported a small rise in first quarter net income and earnings per share to US$20.8m and US$0.15 respectively. The results compares to net income of US$20.5m US$0.14 for the fi...
France's Groupe Danone said on Friday that it had finally reached an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to amend their existing deal regarding the distribution of retail bottled water products in No...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report