FRANCE: French gov't targets binge drinking
The French government will launch its first anti-binge drinking campaign this week.
The TV, radio and cinema spots will feature adolescents enjoying a "paradise-like universe", which turns into a nightmare after they drink too much.
The campaign, set to launch tomorrow (17 July), is aimed at under-25 year-olds and forms part of a raft of new anti-drink laws due to be in place by next year.
Other measures will include a total ban on alcohol sales to underage drinkers from bars, cafes or supermarkets as well as a ban on so-called 'open bars', where students pay a nominal amount for a night's drinking. The legal age to buy any type of alcoholic drink will also be raised from 16 to 18.
The moves follow increasing concern in France about binge drinking - known as a 'bonne cuite' or a 'good cooking' - amid recent incidents of adolescents found with alcohol poisoning in the country, one of whom died.
Detoxing is as much part of the holiday ritual as the excesses that make it necessary and, Annette Farr writes, today's soft drinks market provides a plethora of products claiming restorative health b...
Not surprisingly perhaps it is the effects of the global economic downturn that have dominated the wine pages of just-drinks over the past year. Richard Woodard reviews a difficult year for the intern...
Pernod Ricard's unexpected move for Absolut in March set the tone for a year in which Diageo eschewed any significant acquisitions in favour of joint deals with existing brand owners. Olly Wehring rev...
Christmas is naturally a time when alcohol retailers, pubs and restaurants do well but it is also a time of aggressive price promotion among retailers. Chris Losh bemoans the damage being done to the ...
Irish whiskey distillers are in the advanced stages of drafting a document to give their products protected name status in the EU....
A last minute bureaucratic hitch has prevented eight Bordeaux châteaux from reclaiming their legal status....
The Distilled Spirits Council has described the San Francisco board of supervisors' decision to ban new contracts from allowing alcohol advertisements on city property as "a shame"....
Demand for home brewing kits has reached unprecedented levels in the UK thanks to celebrity endorsements and the recession, suppliers say....
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research