SPAIN: Freixenet silent on Rias-Baixas purchase reports
Spanish cava and fine wines exporter Freixenet has declined to comment on reports that it could be on the verge of acquiring a bodega in the Rías Baixas area of Galicia in north-west Spain.
Late last week, Spanish food and drinks newsletter Alimarket suggested that the privately-held Catalan firm could soon re-establish a winemaking presence of its own in the area. When contacted by just-drinks, however, Freixenet spokeswoman Marta Raventos said: “We neither confirm nor deny this.”
Galicia boasts the Rías Baixas Denominación de Origen (DO) classification found on some of the most sought-after white wines from Spain.
Freixenet had been producing its popular Bodegas Vionta white wine at the Pazo de Baión estate in Galicia. Vionta is made from the prized Albariño grape variety. Pazo de Baión was sold two years ago and Vionta is now produced at Bodega Agnus Dei's winery in Meaño, Pontevedra province, also in Galicia. Alimarket suggested that Agnus Dei could be a target for Freixenet.
Agnus Dei’s owners, The Vinum Terrae Group - which is itself part of the extensive investments in wine held by Novagalicia, a bank operating financially in Galicia, Asturias and León and in international markets – also would not confirm or deny the report.
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research