SPAIN: Freixenet silent on Rias-Baixas purchase reports
Spanish cava and fine wines exporter Freixenet has declined to comment on reports that it could be on the verge of acquiring a bodega in the Rías Baixas area of Galicia in north-west Spain.
Late last week, Spanish food and drinks newsletter Alimarket suggested that the privately-held Catalan firm could soon re-establish a winemaking presence of its own in the area. When contacted by just-drinks, however, Freixenet spokeswoman Marta Raventos said: “We neither confirm nor deny this.”
Galicia boasts the Rías Baixas Denominación de Origen (DO) classification found on some of the most sought-after white wines from Spain.
Freixenet had been producing its popular Bodegas Vionta white wine at the Pazo de Baión estate in Galicia. Vionta is made from the prized Albariño grape variety. Pazo de Baión was sold two years ago and Vionta is now produced at Bodega Agnus Dei's winery in Meaño, Pontevedra province, also in Galicia. Alimarket suggested that Agnus Dei could be a target for Freixenet.
Agnus Dei’s owners, The Vinum Terrae Group - which is itself part of the extensive investments in wine held by Novagalicia, a bank operating financially in Galicia, Asturias and León and in international markets – also would not confirm or deny the report.
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015