EU: France leading earner in European drinks industry
The top performing country in the latest pan-EU figures available (1999) in the drinks industry was France, at €103,700 generated in terms of value added by the sector per person in employment. Meanwhile, for the meat industry the best performer was Denmark, at €46,100 generated per person; for dairy industry, it was Germany at €61,000 per person; and other food industries, the UK at €50,800.
The productivity of the beverages industry in Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Austria, Finland, Sweden and Britain all outranked the top performers in the various food production sub-sectors.
Particularly strong performers were the UK, at €99,500 per person generated, Denmark at €95,100, Belgium at €80,400 and Finland at €78,200. Germany’s added value productivity per person was €71,300.
The poorest performers were Portugal at €44,200, Greece at €60,100 and Austria at €64,000.
The figures come in a paper on strengths and weaknesses in business in the EU. It said that the beverage and food processing industry is the most important national manufacturing sector (in 1999) in Britain, Denmark, Greece, Spain, Netherlands and Portugal. Eurostat says that statistically, these two combined sectors are the third most important in the EU, behind chemicals plus machinery and equipment manufacture.
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future