FRANCE: Fragile glass situation leads Castel to PET
Castel Group has said it will look to bottle its wines in PET if the price of glass continues to rise next year.
The French wine producer has told just-drinks today (7 December) that it would make the move "if supply difficulties persist, and prices increase".
Franck Crouzet, Castel Group's communications director, described the current situation of intermittent bottle supply from the two dominant producers, Saint-Gobain and Owens-Illinois BSN, as "inadmissible".
"They are not respecting their agreements," Crouzet said. "Clients are not their priority. They have other priorities and interests."
Last month, Castel noted that the switch to PET would lead to reduced transport, storage and breakages costs, as well as less oxidation and simple recycling.
"We already have the machines, all we need is agreement from French consumers," Crouzet said.
Last year, Castel, which also owns UK drinks chains Nicolas and Oddbins, saw its wine division deliver turnover of EUR884m (US$1.29bn).
As a practical, economical and lightweight packaging medium, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is without peer and has become widely used by soft drinks producers. But as environmental pressures have g...
Carlsberg has begun rolling out its DraughtMaster Professional System in the UK....
Whilst the UK wine industry remains confident about its future, the majority of the trade no longer sees the country as the most important wine market in the world, according to a survey of leading bu...
The Eckes-Granini Group has reported a strong full year set of results on the back of turnover growth in both Germany and France. Delivering the results its chairman also hinted that further acquisiti...
UK soft drinks group Britvic is to roll out its water brand drench in the UK grocery sector, with the launch of new larger-pack formats and a GBP5.5m (US$10.76m) marketing campaign....
C&C Group is launching a 330ml PET version of its Magners Irish Cider brand in the UK following increasing demand for the new format....
Coca-Cola North America is revamping the packaging and product offering for its Nestea RTD iced tea range in the US....
Pernod Ricard's New Zealand winery Montana has said it will use eco-friendly packaging and processes as well as maintain the natural surroundings required to produce its wines....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research