AUSTRALIA: Foster's warns of fall in beer growth
Foster's Brewing Group has indicated that the growth rates for its Carlton & United Breweries have been cut. The company blamed a static beer market and fierce sector competition.However, Foster's cited other potential areas of growth, including the expanding wine division. The flat outlook for beer and the increase in competition, especially with Lion Nathan, was one of the reasons for Foster's recent $2.6bn acquisition of US wine company Beringer.CUB's Australian beer sales fell 0.6% in volumes to 9.65m hectolitres, while EBIT moved ahead by only 0.8% to A$384.6m in 1999-2000.Beer volumes in Australia across the whole market are only growing about 1% a year. Foster's, in its annual report released yesterday, said it was not possible, under these circumstances, to match the EBIT growth rates of 10% seen in previous years.CEO Ted Kunkel also said that the cost of doing business had risen, due to higher marketing costs as a consequence of the competitive nature of the sector.But despite the weaker outlook, the company's annual report, released yesterday, showed that Kunkel collected a salary of A$2.28m in 1999-2000, up from A$2.07m the previous year. This also included a A$333,500 bonus.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018