AUSTRALIA: Foster's warns of fall in beer growth
Foster's Brewing Group has indicated that the growth rates for its Carlton & United Breweries have been cut. The company blamed a static beer market and fierce sector competition.However, Foster's cited other potential areas of growth, including the expanding wine division. The flat outlook for beer and the increase in competition, especially with Lion Nathan, was one of the reasons for Foster's recent $2.6bn acquisition of US wine company Beringer.CUB's Australian beer sales fell 0.6% in volumes to 9.65m hectolitres, while EBIT moved ahead by only 0.8% to A$384.6m in 1999-2000.Beer volumes in Australia across the whole market are only growing about 1% a year. Foster's, in its annual report released yesterday, said it was not possible, under these circumstances, to match the EBIT growth rates of 10% seen in previous years.CEO Ted Kunkel also said that the cost of doing business had risen, due to higher marketing costs as a consequence of the competitive nature of the sector.But despite the weaker outlook, the company's annual report, released yesterday, showed that Kunkel collected a salary of A$2.28m in 1999-2000, up from A$2.07m the previous year. This also included a A$333,500 bonus.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts