AUSTRALIA: Foster's to stoke the home fires
Despite international sales of 100m cases a year, Foster's Lager has suffered a massive slump in Australia in the past decade, falling from 17% market share in the late 1980s to a mere 1.7% today, lagging well behind market leader, Foster's Victoria Bitter (VB) which commands a 27% market share.
Foster's sponsorship of the Sydney Olympic Games, starting in a fortnight, is being used to back the re-launch, which is targeted at 18-30 year-olds.
'We aim to focus the appeal of Foster's on a new generation of consumers,' said Paul Kennedy, Vice president of Marketing for Foster's Australian arm, Carlton & United Breweries.
He said that young drinkers were believed to be receptive to Foster's international credentials and its heritage - it was first brewed in 1888.
The neck label would carry the words 'export quality' and the tag-line 'Australia's classic lager since 1888'.
Promotion, which began last weekend with a multi-media advertising campaign, is taking in Australia's biggest sporting season - last weekend's and this weekend's national football finals, the Olympic Games, the Melbourne Cup horse race and international cricket.
Foster's aim with the beer, which is packaged in 355ml long neck bottles, is to claw market share from Toohey's Extra Dry, one of the products that helped Lion Nathan take half a percentage point from Foster's overall market share in 1999-2000.
A revised assessment by Southcorp's independent expert has valued the company's shares closer to the bid value offered by Foster's Group....
Australian liquor giant Foster's bid for winemaker Southcorp is gathering momentum....
As one takeover story trundles on, another one has just moved up a gear....
The chief executive of Foster's believes the global premium wine industry is on the upturn....
Foster's Group Ltd is expected to announce that it is lifting its offer for fellow Australian Southcorp, transforming three months of corporate hostility into a friendly takeover....
Shares in Southcorp and Foster's have been halted from trading, pending an announcement....
Southcorp's share price has dropped below the offer price made by Foster's for the first time today (18 April)....
Foster's Group is considering upping its bid for Southcorp prior to extending its offer once again....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends