AUS: Foster's threatened by strike at largest brewery
Foster's Group is facing the possibility of industrial action at its largest brewery in Australia.
A spokesperson for the company confirmed to just-drinks today (11 September) that it is in negotiations with workers at its Yatala brewery in the country to head off the possibility of a strike at the facility.
The brewery has had what the spokesperson described as "an employee collective agreement" in place since it began operations 19 years ago. Workers at Yatala now want to change this to a union collective agreement, as well as demanding a review of wages and conditions.
"We're still in negotiations and are hopeful of a positive outcome," the spokesperson noted. "We believe we have made a very good wages and conditions offer to our employees at Yatala."
The facility is the largest of three breweries operated by Foster's in Australia, and brews beers across the company's portfolio, including VB and Crown. With 300 employees, Yatala has an annual capacity of over 50m nine-litre equivalent cases.
The employees have warned that they intend to issue an application for seeking protective action, which would allow them to legally strike.
Asked if any industrial action would affect Foster's supply chain in the country, the spokesperson said: "We hope we don't get to that point."
Sectors: Beer & cider
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Foster's Group has confirmed that it has stopped exporting some of its wines to some markets due to allocations being targeted at specific regions that are more profitable....
Foster's Group has posted a comparative lift in first half net profit, as a "slower US wine market" held sales flat for the period....
Foster's Group has launched two new wines in Australia with reduced calories and alcohol....
Australian winery Wynns Coonawarra Estate has signed a distribution deal with Matthew Clark and its sister company Wine Studio for on-trade distribution in the UK....
Foster's has announced four appointments as part of its management restructuring within its US arm....
Foster's and Lion Nathan have each launched citrus-infused beers in Australia following the entry of SABMiller's Miller Chill on the country's beer market....
Languedoc wine producer Bonfils has acquired the James Herrick brand and vineyards from Foster's Group....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research