AUS: Foster's moves up a gear against Southcorp
Foster's Group has sent a letter to Southcorp shareholders as its takeover bid gathers momentum. The drinks company pointed out to shareholders today (1 March) that there are no rival bidders and questioned whether Southcorp's recovery plan can be delivered.
In the letter, Foster's cited a number of opinions from newspaper columnists and analysts, while reiterating that its offer price - currently A$4.14 per share - is substantially more than the value of the wine company's shares.
"Southcorp's recovery story only supports an average broker valuation of A$3.30 per share and is yet to be proven," Foster's chairman Frank Swan said in the letter. "There are no other bidders and there is significant risk that Southcorp's share price will fall substantially if Foster's offer lapses."
Swan also attacked Southcorp's decision to pay an unfranked, before tax, dividend, saying that the payment is likely to result in an inefficient tax outcome for most shareholders.
Late last month, Foster's reduced its offer for the wine company from A$4.17 a share following Southcorp's payment of a 3 cents a share dividend to shareholders.
The bid is scheduled to close on 17 March.
A revised assessment by Southcorp's independent expert has valued the company's shares closer to the bid value offered by Foster's Group....
Australian liquor giant Foster's bid for winemaker Southcorp is gathering momentum....
As one takeover story trundles on, another one has just moved up a gear....
The chief executive of Foster's believes the global premium wine industry is on the upturn....
Foster's Group Ltd is expected to announce that it is lifting its offer for fellow Australian Southcorp, transforming three months of corporate hostility into a friendly takeover....
Shares in Southcorp and Foster's have been halted from trading, pending an announcement....
Southcorp's share price has dropped below the offer price made by Foster's for the first time today (18 April)....
Foster's Group is considering upping its bid for Southcorp prior to extending its offer once again....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research