USA: Foster's made "takeover of the decade" with Beringer deal
A leading Wall Street analyst believes Foster's was allowed to buy California's Beringer Wine Estates "too cheaply".David Goldman, a securities analyst with SunTrust equitable Securities, said yesterday that the A$2.6 billion acquisition plucked the largest listed wine company off the US share market, leaving the sector "looking like a flat tyre".He said: "I take my hat off to Foster's for the best value takeover deal of the entire decade. The purchase price was at the lower end of its potential value," he said.Goldman, speaking at a wine industry symposium, believed that the Beringer deal would be followed up by far more expensive acquisitions in the future, as the world's drinks companies fought to consolidate and grow in an increasingly profitable wine industry.Furthermore, although US wine stocks were historically unpopular, the US industry was wide open to further takeovers because of its relative share market under performance.He said that wine consumption in the US would double by 2005 and expand even more rapidly from 2010 and 2015. Foster's wine arm Mildara Blass would benefit from the foothold it now had in the market.Beringer on the other hand, would benefit from Foster's world-class distribution network.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Will South Africa Raise Drinking Age to 21?
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Campari opens office in Canada
- Coca-Cola, A-B InBev express FIFA concerns
- A-B InBev cuts ribbon on Vietnam brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review